Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spreadsheets- I think that Excel could be used for so many more projects, assignments, and lesson planning than the run-of-the-mill data based spreadsheets that it is known for. I had no idea this program could do all of this cool stuff. I really liked how it can make your worksheet balanced and the material equidistant. It was easy to add pictures, use colors, add text, use the toolbar, and manipulate the information. It is definitely a useful program in more ways than I was aware of. I can see many uses for it in the classroom and especially liked the ability to be creative with a blank format.

As a teacher, we use spreadsheet as yet another approach to learning. It can be a dynamic tool for visually illustrating or constructing a lesson, for grading and tabulating scores, or for a multitude of other reasons. As compared to a calculator, Excel can total several numbers at once, we don't have to type each number- only highlight certain sections, and we can formulate sections to remember calculations.

According to the text, the three main functions of spreadsheet are storing, calculating, and presenting information. These are definitely valuable assets to a teacher and can be used interchangeably to promote learning. While "presenting" could encompass almost anything, I thought graphing, providing visual reference, and constructing were also useful facets of this program. In addition, the use of spreadsheet enhances the speed of many operations which is also be an important function. Overall, I think Excel Spreadsheet is the perfect way to cultivate an idea from creation to fruition.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree I think that a spread sheet is not only good for presenting and storing information for educational purposes, but also in a house hold. I Use spreadsheet to keep up with bills and my checkbook. I believe that it looks complicated at first therefore people get timidated and and don't even give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete